The company produces a magazine, Panorama, to keep staff informed of everything that’s going, from financial performance to new products, marketing initiatives, HR projects and major company announcements.
Over many years I’ve written a range of news items and in-depth articles on a huge range of subjects.
Challenges have included carrying out interviews with subjects based around the world, including China and France, for whom English was not their first language. I’ve also regularly been asked to write about complex technologies and manufacturing processes with which I was not really familiar (to put it mildly). And, of course, because the workforce was based around the world, the articles needed to be clear and easily understood.
Some of the subjects I’ve written about for FCI have included:
- Lean manufacturing – including basic explanations of Lean and how it works through to more advanced concepts such as Hoshin – the name for the improvement of a work cell to achieve one-piece flow
- The company’s new intranet – to explain the new functionality
- New videoconferencing capabilities – to explain the benefits and how to use the new service
- New marketing initiatives and how they will affect staff throughout the company
- A new manufacturing plant at Changi in Singapore
- Relocation of the data centre and how it would affect users and operations
- Conferences and exhibitions worldwide – to provide regular coverage of the company’s activities
- Corporate training updates, to introduce new initiatives and ways of working
- A focus on FCI’s largest manufacturing site at Dongguan, China, to explain what the plant produces, how it works and why it so successful
- Project Phoenix, a strategic transformation plan designed to restore strong and sustainable profitability, reinforce market leadership, and create a more flexible and simplified business model.
The result for FCI was a range of articles – produced over a number of years – which helped the company to communicate effectively with a global workforce.